Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The men in our life

Life has been very busy lately, putting me behind on blogging. I'll try to get everyone caught up on what's happening through the next series of posts. I wanted to do a special Father's Day post for the wonderful fathers and grandfathers in Caleb's and my life. Unfortunately, I had a lot of trouble with my hands because of a lupus flare, making it difficult to type, so I didn't get to it in time. While it's more than two weeks past due, I figure "better late than never," right?

This was Dave's first Father's Day. Even though he's only been a father for two and a half months, he's done an incredible job. Dave is the type of daddy who is always willing and ready to jump in and take care of his boy. From diaper changes in the middle of the night to helping cook dinner or caring for Caleb so Mommy can have a break, he's right there and never complains. He's become a pro at eating while balancing a baby, folding cloth diapers, and treating clothing stains. Dave patiently swaddles and rocks our little buddy when Caleb's a bit on edge, and he makes sure to spend quality time with us after he gets home from work. Most importantly, he is committed to make sure Caleb grows up learning about Jesus and is surrounded by positive influences. Since his "love language" is quality time, Caleb gave him father-and-son fishing poles, a tackle box with fishing gear, and some camping supplies; all items to make memories together down the road.

Dave and Caleb at the hospital

Dave reading to Caleb

Dave and Caleb hanging out on the deck
at Cliff and Stacey's house


While I've only seen Dave act as a father for a few months, I have twenty-six years of memories with my daddy. My dad is one of the hardest working men I know. There are so many nights he's gone with very little sleep, heading to work early in order to give us a little more than we might have had otherwise. He taught me financial responsibility by teaching me to save for a car but met me half way so I didn't have to spend time working during the school year. He emphasized the importance of doing your best at school and put me through college, helping me avoid the burden of loans when I was first getting started. Valuing your family and putting them first, taking your care of your responsibilities instead of relying on others, treating others with fairness and honesty, and being a person of integrity are all life lessons he's taught me. Some people may take advantage of his good heartedness at times, but for me, his consideration for others is one of the things I respect the most. Daddy also has a great smile and sense of humor. Caleb's little face lights up already when his granddaddy smiles and talks to him. A few more years and I bet he'll be teaching his grandson how to play baseball and football, how to bait a hook, and, most importantly, how to treat others like you want to be treated.

Granddaddy holding Caleb on Mother's
Day weekend


Dad, Courtney, and me fishing

Caleb and I are also lucky to have Grandpa McKinstry as part of our lives. Grandpa has only seen Caleb once in person so far, but Caleb enjoyed all the time Grandpa spent holding him and letting him sleep across his lap. Hopefully, there will be many more visits for Caleb to spend playing with and learning from Grandpa McKinstry, who knows more biblical facts than probably any man I know. Not only is he a man of great biblical knowledge, he also is a man of integrity who tries to live by God's word and encourage others to do so as well. I know we can always trust him to carry us in prayer if we need it. Grandpa also knows a lot about computers. (Maybe he'll even teach Caleb how to play Farmville.:))

Grandpa holding Caleb

Three generations of McKinstry men

Last but not least is Granddaddy Eddie (aka Peppaw). Over and over again, my granddaddy has told me that no one could ever get him to do anything he didn't want to do. He's encouraged me to do my best and not let others persuade me otherwise. He's also always there for me. Despite the fact that he was probably the only man in David's Bridal, Peppaw went with me to help pick out my wedding dress. He also sat in the waiting room all day beside my Grandma Nora Ann waiting for Caleb to be born. A few weeks later he came two hours to see Caleb's baby dedication at church and then again not long after to watch my graduation. I can't wait until Caleb's old enough to climb up in his pick-up truck and go out to check the cows with him, making memories like the ones I had as a little girl.

Granddaddy Eddie and Grandma Nora Ann
at the hospital right after Caleb was born.

Four generations at Peppaw's 80th birthday party!

1 comment:

  1. What a nice tribute to all the dads in your life! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete