Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Happy FIRST Birthday, Caleb!

"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) Today I spent a wonderful day with my one-year-old on his first birthday. While this post is a bit picture heavy, I couldn't resist recording as much as I could about this special occasion.

This morning started out with a breakfast treat. Since I wanted to wait until his birthday party to give him cake, I gave him a WHOLE pancake to mangle instead.



After playing toys for awhile and taking a nap, Granddaddy Jeff picked us up and took us to the Apple Blossom Mall to see the Easter bunny! Unlike the smooth Santa experience, Caleb wasn't sure what he thought of this giant rabbit. He was kind of excited and a bit scared at the same time. He kept trying to climb my dad's shoulder to get away but would then turn around and smile at the bunny. Grandma and Granddaddy helped him get warmed-up.



After being quite perplexed by this overgrown hare, Caleb moved on to other things of interest at the mall. First of all, he went for a train ride with Grandma.

Then, he headed to the arcade for a game and took a ride on the merry-go-round in the food court. One of the most entertaining parts of the day for him though was discovering that the ceiling in the mall is made up of a ton of small square mirrors.

Next, I went in Toys R Us and Walmart to help my dad shop for the perfect birthday gift while Caleb napped in the car with my mom. When he woke up, the lady at Toys R Us gave him a Geoffrey balloon which he seemed way more excited about than anything else we'd done today. I only wish I'd had my camera handy to show you his reaction.

Anyway, we finally found the gift - a ball pit, complete with two tunnels and three tents. When Granddaddy took it out of the box and assembled it, Caleb was thrilled! He loves balls anyway so being able to sit in a pile of them and have one in each hand made his day.

Mommy also bought him a large ball which was a big hit. Here is a video that shows off his walking skills:



Afterward, Caleb opened an old fashioned television and a classic radio toy from Grandma, plus a lawn mower, swing, and gripper socks from Aunt Courtney.

One of my favorite gifts came from Aunt Amy - a miniature red wagon to pull his toys. Once it's assembled, I'll have to put up a good picture. Even disassembled though it made for a lot of fun; Caleb loved carrying the small wheels around in both hands. She also sent him a red umbrella to match his wagon. Doesn't this picture remind you of Mary Poppins?

My mom brought a special surprise. On my first birthday, my daddy bought me this little bike. Mom has a picture of me sitting on it on my birthday so we had to have a few of Caleb too.

A little later, Tatumn, Aunt Julie, and Uncle Greg showed up as well. Caleb loved hugging Tate!

My Grandma and Granddaddy Hockman stopped by as well but my camera had run out of battery power by then so no pictures to share unfortunately. Caleb was so tuckered out from his eventful day that he went to bed before our visitors even got out the door. Thanks to everyone who made the day special by visiting, calling, or sending birthday wishes via facebook or cards. I couldn't ask for a better first birthday for my little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment