Monday, September 24, 2012

Mini Vacation: Lancaster

For years, one of my favorite places to visit is Lancaster, PA. They have shows, shopping, and huge number of local attractions. One of the things that draws me to this area the most though is the beautiful Amish farmland. That being said, I'm almost always up for an excuse to head north to visit this gorgeous area to admire God's handiwork and enjoy all the area has to offer. In February, I blogged about visiting the tabernacle reproduction. Since then, I have been yearning to go back for several reasons. Our main reason for making such a trip was to visit Dutch Wonderland, an amusement park for kids around Caleb's age. Another reason was to visit the Sight and Sound Theater to watch the play Noah. My third agenda was to hit those outlets again!


Since toting and infant around an amusement pars in the summer time sounded like a bad idea to us, we decided waiting until early September would be best. So, two weeks ago, we loaded up the kids plus NaNa and made the trip. The kids did great for the little over three hour drive. We only stopped once for a break and, in answer to my prayers, there was thankfully a McDonalds with a play place right off the exit. 

After arriving midday Friday, we planned to go on an Amish buggy ride for a tour of the area. However, I didn't feel comfortable taking my two carseat aged children on such and adventure when I found out they take the buggies on the main road. Instead, we found a place called The Choo Choo Barn that we thought our train-loving boy might enjoy. They have a 1,700 square foot model train community constructed for visitors to admire. According to their website, it has "over 150 hand-built animated figures and vehicles and 22 operating trains." I wasn't sure this was going to be something I was all that interested in but I was amazed. The detail of every piece of the construction was unbelievable. I wish you could see how all the trains, vehicles, parades, carnival rides, circus performers, spelunkers, aircraft, construction crews, etc. were orchestrated - not to mention the automobile accident that had a line of traffic backed up, fire that the miniature fire company came and put out, and American flag that was actually blowing in the wind.

 
Some people were excited about the big wooden 
train out in front of the Choo Choo Barn.

 Look at that, Daddy!

This miniature baseball team had Choo Choo Barn uniforms. 
The designer even positioned the direction of the players heads 
to watch as if they were really playing the game.

This picture gives a good view of how large the display was 
but it is also a good shot of the Turkey Hill gas station. 
The Turkey Hill ice cream company originated in the area 
and if you look closely you may even see their ice cream truck. 
The sign said it took over 100 hours to build just this gas 
station, including the gas sign with light up prices that change
 to reflect the current gas prices in the area.

Even Hadley was interested.

Ski slopes, construction sites, vehicles, trains, and tunnels...Yay!

Every so often, they even turned off the lights so we could 
see the "town" at night lit up by streetlights and car headlights.

Look closely. Can you see the rock climbers?

There was an Amish barn raising taking place. 

Look at all this yardsale scene includes. 

This parade actually moved through the town.

Caleb is very much into Thomas the Tank Engine right now, so we were thrilled to find a Thomas store right in the same building as The Choo Choo Barn. I already found him a ton of "new" trains on a local yardsale site recently so we didn't buy any new ones, but he enjoyed just looking (and so did Hadley). I did find him a Thomas backpack and bought it to put away for Christmas since he's also been interested in carrying things around in backpacks lately. I didn't put it away like I should have when I got home though and the little booger found it! When he wasn't looking I hid it so hopefully he'll forget and be surprised in December anyway. :)


We also came across another train-themed attraction - The Red Caboose Motel. The motel was made completely of cabooses that had been transformed into rooms for anyone who wanted to stay the night on a train. We'd already reserved a room at Spruce Lane Lodges, but we stopped by to check out the trains and enjoy the animals and playground on the property.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Hadley is probably plotting to climb aboard this 
Illinois train to get to Grandma and Grandpa McKinstry's.


 Let's stowaway, NaNa!

We finished the day with a favorite past time of both my mother's and mine - outlet shopping! Thankfully, they had a playground outside to entertain the boys!

The following day we went to Dutch Wonderland. We, of course, started our visit with a train ride of the park to see what it had to offer.Caleb was allowed to ride almost all the rides in the park except for about three so it was ideal for kids in his age bracket. They also had little buildings for kids to explore like a school house, church, candy shop, etc. and hands on activities like milking a cow.

 
 
 
 
 Dave thought this turtle ride was a bit intense.

 On this train ride, the kids had to pedal around the track 
and their parents had to carry a stick to push them 
along if they got stuck.

Caleb, whose arms were a bit too short for this, 
let Daddy do all the work. 

 This ride was by far the favorite by both Caleb and Mommy. 
It really made you get that feeling you have when you drop 
on a roller coaster. We rode it multiple times.

 Daddy had to have a turn on the Hopper!

 
 
 We thought it was so funny that all these kids were lined 
up to get pictures with this generic dino and princess even though 
none of them know who these characters are. Yes, 
we were one of the ones in line.

 
 

We left about midday for lunch and so Caleb could nap with the intent of returning later. The girls shopped some more while Caleb snoozed in the car with Daddy. Meanwhile, the beautiful weather we'd had all day turned into pouring rain. We tried heading back to the park when the little fella woke up but it was closed. I am not sure who was more upset, Caleb or Dave. To cheer up our toddler, we headed to a Chick-fil-A play place.

That evening Dave, Caleb, and I headed to Lancaster's Sight and Sound Theatre to watch Jonah while Hadley hung out with NaNa at the outlets. Dave and I gave each other tickets to this play as our birthday presents to each other. I've seen Daniel, In the Beginning, and The Psalms of David in Lancaster previously and Dave and I saw The Miracle of Christmas and Noah (in Branson) together too. They do a great job with their productions. Since Caleb was free, we decided that he could join us and leave at intermission to go with NaNa if he got to wiggly. He actually did a great job the whole first half though and only talked a little during the second half until he fell asleep. One of the highlights of the whole adventure for him was seeing the giant whale swim out over top the audience. Since Hadley is still nursing about every two to three hours, Mom had to meet us at intermission so I could feed the baby, but it worked out relatively smoothly despite the rush.

Hopefully we'll get back up to Lancaster in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment