For the past week, we've had some very special visitors. Dave's sister and her family (the Tyndalls) got a great deal on some flights, which prompted them to make a trip to the east coast to visit us this October.
Typically, we visit the Midwest twice a year - once in the summer and once at Christmastime. However, now that there are three little ones in our family, it's just too much for me and my hubby to handle.
We made a trip to Illinois last summer when I was pregnant with Reid, and that was the last time the McKinstry cousins saw each other. When we ventured to see Dave's mom this past summer, Reid was the only one in tote because it was a short trip and we wanted to keep it manageable. Since it was such a short visit, we didn't even get to see the Tyndalls though we were somewhat in their neck of the woods.
Absence only makes the heart grow fonder I guess. Even after a year's time between seeing each other, there was no warming up period needed. The cousins acted like they see one another for play dates on a regular basis. Hadley immediately ran up to greet Lydia and give her a hug, and Caleb and Luke walked off together like good buddies.
Down over the hill they went to sit under the old acorn tree and play in the dirt.
Because we hadn't seen each other since the summer of '13, this was the first time any of our Missouri family got to meet Reid...I think they liked him. :)
Later that evening, Aunt Amy and I went for a big grocery store trip while the kids stayed with the fellas. I found these pics on my camera, so it looks like they must have worked on some artwork while we were out.
Yay cousins!
The following day was full of party preparations for Reid's first birthday. Amy and I actually went to MOPS that morning and then on a few errands, but the rest of the day was dedicated to getting ready for our guests. While we worked, the kids played...
When my three little ones went down for naps, Lydia and Luke helped with the party stuff too. Lydia started by blowing up balloons and making Cheerio garland, and she even dabbled in the kitchen helping her mom make some treats. I think she especially enjoyed being the one who got to fill the pinata.
And, we can't forget Dave who had all kinds of little tasks to do that day. From helping me hang garland and banners to figuring out how to make a pinata out of a Cheerio box, I kept him busy. He's always a good sport.
Lydia helped in other ways too. When Reid woke up, she wanted to try to feed him. Look at how well she did keeping the bowl out of his grasp. A little mother in the making!
Though I was up until midnight trying to finish the party prep, Saturday morning was still a whirlwind as we finished putting up a few decorations and prepared the food. I did end up cutting a few corners though and sent Amy to the store to buy a few items instead of making them myself.
We tried to keep the kids out of the party area all morning, but afterwards they had the run of the house again. I think they were pretty pooped by that point anyway. It's not often that you'll find Reid sitting still for long, but even he took a break to snuggle in Uncle Keith's lap and read a book.
On Sunday, however, we got the chance. I was tuckered out after all that partying, so I took a loooong nap after church first while my kids napped too...Actually, I outslept the kids!
![]() |
| Aunt Amy says: "[Hadley] is the most articulate two-year-old I know, and it is impossible to feel grumpy when she is in the room." |
![]() |
| Making good use of one of Reid's new presents |
I didn't quite get the one-on-one time I had envisioned because Caleb and Hadley were interested in what was happening in the kitchen too. I hated to tell them they couldn't help, but I didn't want to take away from my special treat with my favorite niece either. For the most part, the kids were pretty satisfied just watching from a nearby chair so thankfully it worked out.
| This is what happens when you ask him to smile for a pic. |
Not only did Lydie have the chef outfit, she also had a little cooking show presentation she liked to do while she baked. I was so tickled listening to her the night before Reid's party as she talked her "audience" through baking cupcakes.
When we cooked together, we were a bit more focused (and crowded by the spectators), so our cookie making didn't include this adorable spiel but good time was had nonetheless.
Originally, we planned to make a cake, but since there was so much left over from the party, we opted to do cookies instead. Thinking Lydia could use her cookie cutters, this seemed like an especially good idea...until we realized how runny the batter was. There was no rolling these cookies out. Instead we decided to just pour the mix into the cookie cutters and see how that went.
After a few seconds of sitting, they actually did hold their shape to my surprise, but as I expected, once they went in the oven, they just melted into blobs. At least she got to use them and it was good entertainment. Even Caleb got to try his hand at it after all that waiting.
Finally, it was time to decorate. We let Luke and Hadley put a squirt of icing on some leftover mini cupcakes and Caleb got to decorate one cookie before we cleared them out of the kitchen for Lydia to get to do the rest of the creating in peace.
Meanwhile, Reid was pretty entertained by Aunt Amy bouncing him around. It sounded like he was saying "Again!" each time she stopped.
| Pick me up please. One more time, Aunt Amy. |
Tuesday we all attempted to go to Monticello together, but Hadley got car sick half way there and we had to turn around and drive an hour home while the cousins went on without us. My four-year-old was quite upset that we would be missing this "field trip, but it was an extra good decision to throw in the towel and head home since later Caleb also go carsick about half way back. Lydia was also very distraught that our plans were shook up, but I think it worked out for the best. Amy and Keith said it was not kid friendly for young children at all. Maybe in a few years we'll try again!
Being reunited that evening everyone was in high spirits again.
| Yep, the little ham is mine. |
| Whenever I'd put a hairbow in Hadley's hair, Lydia often wanted one too. She was proud of this bright green one she picked out. What a cutie. |
The following morning, Keith and Amy were up bright and early to see the lunar eclipse, something Amy is really into. (We were up early for another reason - our kids were trying to catch the worm I guess.) While they were out on our deck, they also spotted a baby fawn that had strange markings, covered mostly in white. My grandparents had spotted the same one a few days before, but Keith snapped a pic.
Caleb had school that day and the Tyndalls wanted to tour D.C., so Dave headed to work after dropping them at the metro and it was just a normal day for me with my other two.
However, when I went to pick Caleb up, he was not feeling well. When he came out of the school building looking pitiful and requesting to go home, I knew immediately something was wrong because he usually loves school. When I kissed him goodbye that morning I thought he felt a touch warm, but after falling asleep in the car on the way home and taking at three hour nap, he woke up with a raging fever. He asked to just stay in bed instead of getting up to play so I gave him some ibuprofen and left him to rest. It wasn't long though before it kicked in and he was up running around just in time for the cousins to get back from visiting our nation's capitol.
Luke and Caleb played their normal games of superheroes they'd been playing all week (with Hadley joining in at times) and the rest of the evening went smoothly.
Then, they calmed down and read a book with Dave.
Caleb's fever returned and raged through the night. Dave slept with him and gave him medicine when needed while I tended Reid.
The next morning...we had a happy, healthy acting boy again - ready to get in a little more time before his cousins left for their flight.
| Two cousins... |
| ...then three.... |
| DOGPILE! |
| I love Luke's smile. |
| Hadley's got the moves. |
Sadly, then it was time for goodbyes. Don't wait another two years to visit cousins!
We are planning a trip to the Midwest in November so hopefully we'll get a little more time together then.





















No comments:
Post a Comment