December is always a busy month for us and before we even entered the Christmas season this year, I told Dave that I wanted to cut out a lot of the usual rushing about...to do less...to be home together more...to have less stress...and be less wore out.
Well...I got my wish...but not in the way I'd hoped. Rather than choosing to forego certain holiday activities, we were forced to stay cooped up due to a month long bout of sicknesses that's plagued our family since right after Thanksgiving.
We did have a few days when the kids were feeling pretty good, and that I felt they weren't contagious thanks to the help of antibiotics, so we still got in a handful of Christmas gatherings which perked up our spirits.
First was the annual Alger Christmas party held at the Rileyville Brethren Church this year. Dave was in Illinois attending his mother's services, so I debated going at all with three babies by myself. However, several people told me over the course of that week that they'd be willing to help if I came, urging me to attempt it and reassuring me it was manageable. Thankfully, I took them up on the offer and we really did have wonderful Sunday afternoon with family.
 |
| Reid liked Aunt Susie because she kept feeding him green beans. |
 |
| These three boogers had a lot of fun running around together. (Blake - 1.5 years, Celia - almost 2.5 years, and Reid - just over 1 year) |
 |
| Wanna play hide-and-seek? |
 |
| Peek-a-boo! |
 |
| Oh that Aunt Susie is so funny! |
 |
| Aunt Pat was one of those who called to volunteer help. Reid amazingly sat on her lap for a good portion of the time. I don't know how she got that boy to sit still so long! |
 |
| Love you, Aunt Courtney. |
For the third year in a row now, my cousin Jamie came in dressed like Santa to surprise the kids. And, once again, Caleb was the one with the best reaction when he saw a fella donning a red velvet suit and carrying a bag of goodies walk in the room. In a flash, he bounded his way across the room and joyfully struck up a conversation with St. Nick as he reached his little hand up to take hold of Jamie's. Every year I'm not quick enough to catch his reaction on camera, but this time I asked them to give me a little warning and I got this cute clip:
I also got a few pictures of course.
 |
| Hadley was a little more timid than her brother about approaching this mythical character, but she was still smiling from a distance. |
 |
| We don't do the whole Santa thing Christmas morning and Caleb knows he's not "real." But as many times as he's told me he knows Santa is just a character, his reaction when he sees this celebrity always makes me think differently. This Christmas, it was especially cute to listen to his response as people asked what he's asking Santa for or if Santa is coming to his house. "We don't have a chimney," he told them matter-of-factly and then moves on about his business as the questioner was left stunned and often giggling at his response. |
While Caleb LOVED Santa, Reid wanted none of this jolly old elf. My attempt to get a picture of all the kids together on St. Nick's lap resulted in a major meltdown.
Santa was a hit but he wasn't all that was exciting about this party. From delicious food to open spaces to run and play to good fun with family, we all had a terrific time and I'm so grateful my cousins plan this every year!
Our second Christmas dinner was at Caleb's school. They invited all the parents to a birthday party for Jesus, giving us the opportunity to come watch the kids sing a song they'd learned and have lunch with them. Dave had to work but NaNa joined us - and it's a good thing she did! Reid still wasn't feeling his best and neither was I, not to mention that when I arrived I realized that I'd forgotten Hadley's shoes and ended up having to carry both babies along with the diaper bag. It would have been really hard - if not impossible - to juggle food and kids if she wasn't around to help.
I was disappointed when we finally made it though because, since I was five minutes late due to juggling the little ones, I missed the kids' presentation. To be honest, I almost cried, but later Caleb told me that he didn't sing anyway (probably because he'd only been at school four days the entire month due to sickness and didn't know the song) and I felt a little better. I'd hoped I could see him sing that Sunday when they were doing another presentation during the morning services, but alas we were sick again and had to hibernate to keep the germs at bay. Maybe next year.... One the plus side, it kept our running about minimal and we did get the opportunity to at least have lunch together. :)
 |
| We'd been sick so much that we hadn't had much quality time with the Burruses lately. It was good to see them again! |
 |
| I also got to chat with my friend Tressa. Caleb says Max and Chase are his best friends and I have to say that he picks really good friends with great moms. |
 |
| The tables were decorated with things the kids made in the different classes which was cute. |
 |
| Reid just loved being with NaNa. |
Old St. Nick and his helpful elf (Caleb's teacher - Ms. Yvette) decided to make an appearance at this festive event too. We waited our turn in line for another photo opt.
 |
| We thought Reid would be happier on Ms. Yvette's lap than Santa's, but he still wasn't having it. I also love that Hadley and Santa both look a little scared of each other in this pic. |
 |
| There we go. That's better. |
Our last get pre-Christmas celebration was at my Aunt Debbie's. Every year the Vaughts get together for Christmas Eve and this year was no exception. We missed it last time because so many folks were sick and we wanted to avoid picking up anything, and the year before that it snowed so much that we had to cancel our party altogether, but everything worked out this time thankfully.
 |
| Anabella always loves to see Hadley. "You're my Hadley," I've heard her say more than once. |
 |
| My Aunt Debbie's sister-in-law (Cindy) is crazy about Reid. As soon as we walked in the door, she tried her best to get her hands on our chubby baby who only wanted his Granny at first. |
 |
| Looks like Caleb's telling Uncle Brandon something important. |
And you'll never guess who showed up....
My Aunt Beth arranged for a special visitor to stop by. He even had a bag of toys! (Glad I didn't rush around to get the kids' pics with Santa...who knew we'd get so many opportunities to sit on his lap?)
 |
| It's just Dan, Santa. He's not a real Ninja Turtle. |
 |
| Ryan, don't worry. Santa has a little something for you too! |
 |
| You can keep the present! Just get me out of here! |
 |
| Granny, you are too big for a gift from Santa! Hop down! |
After Santa left, we played "Thieves Christmas." Everyone put their presents in the middle of the floor and drew numbers to see what order they got to pick a gift. The catch was that if you got a gift someone else liked, they got a chance to steal it. In the past we've done gag gifts, but this year most everyone brought pretty nice items and we did a bit more trading around.
The littler ones did their own Christmas exchange since they were to small for the grown-ups' game.
 |
| Hadley loved her jewelry set from Anabella. |
Finally it was time to scoop these cuties up and tuck them in bed for visions of sugar plums to begin their dancing.
We didn't get out a ton for Christmas festivities, but I think it was just the right amount. We got a little time with family and friends while still having quite a bit of time to stay nestled in right at home. More about our home bound Christmas fun in the next post...
No comments:
Post a Comment