Back in October when Dave's sister Amy and her family came to visit, she commented that it's pretty much impossible to remain in a bad mood when this ray of sunshine is around:
I couldn't have put it better myself! Hadley isn't just a happy little girl; she adds a level of joy to our family beyond what I could begin to describe in type. It is this excitement about life, living beyond contentment, being satisfied, and having a joyous outlook, that points me to God when I look at my daughter.
You always hear jokes about how girls are so much more high maintenance than little boys. I can testify that that is not always the case and definitely not in our family. Hadley's a kid that can be satisfied with and takes pleasure in very ordinary things, like her blankies for example. From the time she was teeny tiny, snuggling a blanket next to her check or dragging it along behind her has been one of this girl's favorite past times. I remember back when she was still her in crib, Hadley would sometimes lay in there for an hour or more just playing with her blankie or feet instead of crying out for me to come get her. If it wasn't for having a video monitor, I'm not sure I'd have even known she was awake.
When she woke up from nap, the blanket of course had to come too as I lifted her out or she padded down the hallway. At one point, she started carrying around her pillow, multiple blankets, burp cloths, and dolls/stuffed animals. I couldn't help smile at her arms overloaded with those treasures every time she woke up. Hadley was flexible though. It didn't have to be that one specific blankie or toy; for the most part she was satisfied with whatever we gave her - again a testimony of living content.
Last summer I can remember just how happy she was to play with only a few pieces of sidewalk chalk or the rocks in the driveway. Even the blackberry bushes down the hill excited her as she kept sneaking away over the bank to grab a few to taste.
Music is another simple pleasure that delights her. Last winter she really began to take an interest in singing, especially as we'd do the hand motions to "The Itsy, Bitsy Spider" or "Deep and Wide." For months now she requested over and over for me to sing "Jesus Loves Me" or "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" at bed time; loving to hear one song after another the way Caleb used to love bed time stories (not that she doesn't like a few good books every night too). As of late, "Humpty Dumpty" has been a favorite. I guess about two or three months ago we started watching different Youtube videos of various renditions of this classic nursery rhyme, and almost every time she walks in the computer room, that's exactly what Hadley asks for. "We watch Humpty Dumpty?" she inquires in that precious little voice of hers.
Hadley loves people too and enjoys being out and about (two things which may be kind of tied together). Caleb has days when he'd just rather stay at home and Reid can clam up a bit if we are around a bunch of folks he doesn't know well, but not Little Girl. She is always raring to go. One of those who's never met a stranger. I think that's partly why people are drawn to that bubbly personality of hers.
Mom and I have even started taking her along every once in a while for some girls' night shopping trips. Rather than complaining to find a toy store, she is completely thrilled to be hunting clothing bargains with us. Once she even started undressing herself in the store when our head was turned to put on a pair of pjs that had really caught her eye. What could we do but laugh, shake our heads, and pay the saleslady?
| Look at that excitement when we picked up NaNa! |
| Grandma NaNa bought her this unicorn purse which made the night even more exciting. |
Not only does she enjoy shopping with us, but Hadley is excited about all things girlie. From dressing up as a princess to jewelry to pretty clothes, she embraces her femininity and loves to get prettied up. "I'm beautiful," she'll declare without a hint of vain conceit or comparison that comes with the innocence of this age - just a happy, confident little lady.
| For Christmas she just got her first pair of "real" clip-on earrings. |
| She tried to add a little lipstick to her mouth with a Minnie Mouse stamp set the other night before we caught her. |
As much as she loves dressing herself up, I love dressing her up even more I believe. Truth be told, I am a bit of a baby clothes addict and have to keep myself in check, but little girl clothes are just so precious and I enjoy so much seeing her in those beautiful outfits and hair accessories. That's part of the fun of having a daughter, right?
More than the clothes though, it's just watching her that makes my heart full.
She's my little rocking-horse-ridin' pink-lasso-ropin' cowgirl...
...my stuffed-animal-and-baby-doll-lovin' cutie pie...
| Tucking in our elves on the shelf with my dish towel |
...and my dress-up-and-let's-play-make-believe cutie.
She and I have even started doing a little baking together lately, and it's not uncommon for Hadley to ask to help in the kitchen or just drag a chair up to the counter in an attempt to be a part of what I am doing these days.
While she likes all things feminine, Hadley enjoys playing with the boys too. Caleb and Reid are her best friends! If she isn't chasing after her big brother, she's often lovin' on or fighting with the little one. That's right, this normally pretty laid back kid can get pretty feisty with those two fellas when she needs to. Don't think our girl's going to let one of them get something over on her! I guess it's good practice for the real world though as I saw the other day when a little boy about Caleb's size kept trying to take a ball away from her and screaming in her face at a kids' thing we went to recently. As I watched ready to jump in and help, I saw my dainty little girl stand right up to that bigger kid. "It's my ball," she yelled right back, plopping herself on the ground and hugging it with all her might, not giving him an inch as he continued to harass her before a teacher stepped in. One of the ladies nearby commented they couldn't believe she held her own. "She has two brothers," I said with a smile, and the woman smiled back, nodding knowingly in response.
I am so glad I get to wake up to see this sweet, perfect little face every morning, hear her precious toddler voice, watch her content moments and her feisty ones, have our quality girl time opportunities, and cuddle her daily. A middle child, yes, but she definitely doesn't go unnoticed or fade into the background as the stereotype goes. Hadley lights up our lives with her joy and adds so much humor and creativity to the mix of things around our household. Our family just wouldn't be complete without her and I'm so thankful God entrusted this special gift to us.
No comments:
Post a Comment