Caleb's actual birthday this year had a couple unexpected turns of events. Originally, Dave wasn't supposed to be taking the day off, but little Miss Hadley woke up in the middle of the night with a stomach bug, and by morning Mommy wasn't feeling great herself. While it was a bit unbelievable that we'd made it this far in the year without any of us getting the bug, what was even more shocking is that Hadley came down with it on Caleb's birthday last year too! Nonetheless, he still got to have a special day and do all the things he'd hoped to.
The morning started off with a few gifts. I held back our presents from the party ones so he'd have a few to open and was glad I had.
| The last book in a series he had - I didn't even know this one existed until recently. |
| While Grandpa McKinstry bought the K'nex set Caleb had been dreaming of, Mommy and Daddy bought another he'd never seen before focused on building simple machines using gears. |
Dave knows how I usually roll on birthdays and started up a batch of pancakes - but with a twist. He decided to try to make one in the shape of a six,using aluminum foil for a mold. It worked well enough. Bonus points for you, Daddy!
I initially suggested to Caleb a trip to the Lego store maybe as a special birthday treat, but he had a different idea - Subway and Cracker Barrel. He cracks me up because whenever we go on a special day out, he typically would much prefer a restaurant to an activity. He definitely has a heart for food, so it should have come to no surprise to me when that's what he wanted for his birthday too.
First, Dave took him to Cracker Barrel for lunch, which was exciting enough for Caleb who had a hankering for some dumplings and glazed carrots. The bonus surprise was that NaNa showed up to meet them. She even bought him a few little treats from the country store. I had to laugh when Dave told me what he picked out - wind up teeth and a loud, light up toy gun that his little brother coveted all day.
Mommy let him have the day off from school for his birthday (homeschooling perk!), so he spent the rest of the day playing until it was time for t-ball practice. Dave took him and Reid to Subway beforehand and then off to the ball fields they went for what Dave said was one of his best practices so far.
In some ways, I wish I could have done more to make his day special, but he seemed pretty pleased and satisfied just the way it was.
Now if only he would quit growing up quite so fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment