Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wagon party!

I'm about a month behind on this post so you'll have to bear with me as I try to catch up! It is also the longest blog post I think I've ever done! But, after all the talk about Caleb's wagon-themed birthday party, I bet some of you are interested to hear how it turned out. Well, I've finally gathered all the pictures from our friends and relatives that I needed, so I can share with those of you who couldn't be there to join in the festivities.

The weekend started out with a visit from Grandma and Grandpa McKinstry. They were so much help by entertaining Caleb so we could take care of the final details. Grandma McKinstry also washed a ton of dishes and helped with the food prep as well. My mom also came over to help prepare the food and the house for his party.

Grandma McKinstry and Caleb are trying out a new toy.

The morning of, we finished getting the food together, set up everything, and decorated. With everyone's help, we were finally ready for our guests.

In keeping with the theme, I tried to set the plates up to look like
a wagon. We also used the toy wagon from Aunt Amy to hold the utensils.

There was a special table with snacks just for the little ones.
Gerber cookies anyone?

And, of course there was a cake table! Aside from the wagon cakes,
there were regular size and miniature cupcakes as well as plenty of
party favors and gift bags to go around.

All of the preparation is in vain though if the people you love aren't there to join in the celebration. Amazingly, we celebrated Caleb's first birthday with THIRTY-NINE friends and family members!

Caleb's Great-Aunt Brenda's family was among the first to arrive.

Friends from our old church in Maryland as well as from our new
church in Virginia joined in the fun. Caleb's little yellow wagon
full of blocks was a hit!


Dave's former roommate/groomsman Sid was there with his
family, as well as my former roommate/bridesmaid Andi (pink shirt)
and her family. Their daughters (Emilia and Celeste) are enjoying a snack
at our new picnic table. They all had to drive an hour or more
to be there and we were glad they did. I was also thrilled my cousins
Addie (blue shirt) and Stephanie
(purple sweater) could make it.

Everyone piled in the kitchen to fill up their plates and their bellies.

Great-aunt Susie and her family ate their fill.

Of course Caleb's best bud Max was there.

As well as his twin cousins Daniel (blue vest) and Anabella (far
right).
His big cousin Lexi is joining all the babies on the carpet as
they check out the toys.

Emilia (right) and Anabella (left) became quick friends.

The kids weren't the only ones meeting new people.
We had such a wide group of friends and family that many of
them were meeting for the first time. On the other hand, some
of our guests reconnected with friends they hadn't seen in quite awhile.

Jason (Max's dad), my cousin Diane, Amy (one of my closest friends
since third grade), my cousin Stephanie, and I spend a little time
around the cake table chatting.

Our friend Joe from our Maryland church family and his daughters
made quite a trip to be with us too. We've missed them so
much! We were more than happy to have a little quality time
and see how the girls had grown.

After socializing and filling our bellies, the games began. It was a bit challenging to find games for babies and toddlers but I stumbled upon or created a few that were appropriate.

Uh oh, Daddy! Caleb's eating the game pieces.

Caleb trying to pin the handle on the wagon

Celeste gave it a shot too.

Next, we had a baby race. The mom's knelt on one edge of
the
rug while the dad's held the babies at the opposite end. Caleb,
who loves to run anyway, was starting to get cranky at this point
and really wanted
his momma. Needless to say, he won the race.

We also found a cupcake themed pull-string pinata. All of the kids
tugged the strings while Grandma McKinstry held it.

Get some candy for your bag, Daniel!

The candy was really for the older ones,
but the babies
enjoyed collecting it too.

Yay for candy!

We also a jellybean guessing contest since Caleb was born the
day before Easter!
(I wanted to do red and white to go with the theme,
but you wouldn't believe how much Jelly Bellys cost these days. I
thought gas prices were high...good thing we don't have to fill up our
tanks with these!) Congrats to Sid Bennett on his jelly bean guessing skills!

And the the part you've been wondering about....the cake! This time around the cake came out like I wanted it. I even made a miniature wagon cake for Caleb.


When we finally gave Caleb his cake, he was very interested in all the different parts of the wagon. He had to dissect it piece by piece. (Future engineer? Well see...)

First, he wanted to hold a thin mint in each hand.

He was really checking them out and licking them occassionally.
Then, he went for the graham crackers rails and
eventually the black licorice handle.


Finally, after we took all the pieces away, he started tasting the cake.
He thought Mommy needed a taste too and kept trying to offer me some.


Everyone enjoyed this new experience with Caleb.

Anyone want to kiss the birthday boy?

Have a taste, Granddaddy.

Wondering why he's in a new outfit? The hat says it all!

Grandma Sharon sliced the big cake!

Grandpa McKinstry and Granddaddy Eddie liked it too I think.

Finally, it was time to open presents. Caleb had more toys and outfits than any one-year-old could ever imagine!

The wagon was overflowing.

There was a classic milk wagon toy from Grandma and Granddaddy
Vaught to go with the theme!


Thank you for the push toy, Grandma and Grandpa
McKinstry and Grandma Swan.


I like this thing, Mama!

Several of the kids were interested in Caleb's presents.
Isabel was so helpful handing them to us.


We were glad to have you all and missed those who couldn't join us. I apologize to anyone I missed in these pictures; I tried to get everyone in at least one even if only in the background! You truly made this party one to remember.

3 comments:

  1. So glad the little wagon came in handy! The cakes look fabulous. Caleb is one special little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the party was a big success! You did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for all your help!

    ReplyDelete