Caleb absolutely loved the trip! The only vacations he'd taken before were trips to IL to see Dave's side of the family. As you know, the Midwest and East Coast are A LOT different, so there were a ton of new experiences - the main one being the beach. I remember hating the sand as a kid and not wanting it on me at all. My son, on the other hand, embraced it. Rather than sitting on the towel I brought, his little bottom plopped right in the sand and he went to work filling buckets with shovel. Oh, and he of course tasted several mouthfuls like I dreaded he would. (The really shocking part is that one taste wasn't enough convince him that sand wasn't a good option for a snack.) He even enjoyed running into the tide and being splashed by the waves despite how cold the saltwater was this time of year. His mama was a bit more sensitive to the temperature though and had to carry her chattering boy back up beach to snuggle up in warm towel and shovel a little more sand. When it was time to head off the beach, Caleb was also quite entertained with the water hose available to clean off his feet.
Sunday, June 5, 2011
Ocean City, MD
As the weather grew warmer this spring, I started dreaming of vacation! Over the past couple months, I've looked at website after website of different destinations that would be "baby friendly." Dave and I talked about a few possibilities that we think may work later in the summer, but the urge to get away and relax seemed to be growing stronger all the time. Thankfully, my anxious traveling energy was finally relieved two weeks ago,when my mom invited Caleb and I to the beach in Ocean City for a few days with her and my sister. While I went to Ocean City almost every year as a kid, I think it had been eight years since the last time I visited and I was really missing the beach. Despite my concerns about Caleb eating the sand, the logistics of dealing with nap schedules, all the stuff I'd have to lug, etc., I decided going away for a few days to soak in the sun by the ocean was worth it.


Caleb absolutely loved the trip! The only vacations he'd taken before were trips to IL to see Dave's side of the family. As you know, the Midwest and East Coast are A LOT different, so there were a ton of new experiences - the main one being the beach. I remember hating the sand as a kid and not wanting it on me at all. My son, on the other hand, embraced it. Rather than sitting on the towel I brought, his little bottom plopped right in the sand and he went to work filling buckets with shovel. Oh, and he of course tasted several mouthfuls like I dreaded he would. (The really shocking part is that one taste wasn't enough convince him that sand wasn't a good option for a snack.) He even enjoyed running into the tide and being splashed by the waves despite how cold the saltwater was this time of year. His mama was a bit more sensitive to the temperature though and had to carry her chattering boy back up beach to snuggle up in warm towel and shovel a little more sand. When it was time to head off the beach, Caleb was also quite entertained with the water hose available to clean off his feet.








The beach wasn't the main attraction for Caleb though. We rented a room at the Hilton which ended up being great for him because they had a miniature water park with slides, fountains, and other features just right for babies his age. (This ended up being where we spent most of our time.) They also had an adult pool right in front of our ground-floor room, so while he was napping inside, I could lay out on our patio and tan, visiting with my sister and mom. There was even an indoor pool to enjoy in the evenings when the others closed. The water temperature of all three was great; needless to say, we ended up with pruny fingers most of the trip.










Of course one of the best parts of Ocean City is the seafood, so our evenings were spent enjoying buffets or a crab house. Caleb had his first taste of crablegs and learned how to hit things with a crab mallet, including his grandma who got clocked twice in a row. He enjoyed watermelon, french fries, and even tried a little bit of ice cream.




I can't forget to mention the evening spent on the famous O.C. boardwalk either! In particular, Caleb liked the police horses. My mom even chased them down so that Caleb could pet them.



While Ocean City may not be the most unique place to vacation, it was a great spot for us. I relaxed a bit, added some color to my skin, and, most importantly, enjoyed watching Caleb see and try so many new things.
Caleb absolutely loved the trip! The only vacations he'd taken before were trips to IL to see Dave's side of the family. As you know, the Midwest and East Coast are A LOT different, so there were a ton of new experiences - the main one being the beach. I remember hating the sand as a kid and not wanting it on me at all. My son, on the other hand, embraced it. Rather than sitting on the towel I brought, his little bottom plopped right in the sand and he went to work filling buckets with shovel. Oh, and he of course tasted several mouthfuls like I dreaded he would. (The really shocking part is that one taste wasn't enough convince him that sand wasn't a good option for a snack.) He even enjoyed running into the tide and being splashed by the waves despite how cold the saltwater was this time of year. His mama was a bit more sensitive to the temperature though and had to carry her chattering boy back up beach to snuggle up in warm towel and shovel a little more sand. When it was time to head off the beach, Caleb was also quite entertained with the water hose available to clean off his feet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good to hear about your adventure-we're headinh there in July! -Dianna
ReplyDelete