Friday, July 20, 2012

Family Drive-In

While we're on the topic of movie theaters, we had another unique movie experience lately - a trip to the "Family Drive-In." Growing up, I loved for my parents to take us to the drive-in in Stephens City. Snuggling up in the car with lots of pillows and blankets plus snacking on pickles, popcorn, candy, and a shrimp basket made for a special night - not to mention the playground!

Last year we talked several times about taking Caleb, but something or other always came up and we never made it. Two weeks ago when we considered going, the heat was too intense to have the kids out. This weekend though was much more pleasant. In order to beat the crowd and get a good spot before they filled up or sold out, we got there early to buy our tickets for Ice Age 4 and Brave. The prices are great in my opinion - $8 per person for a double feature and kids under three are free. Plus, you can bring in your own food unlike most theaters. I'm always excited about economical family excursions.


Before the show and at the intermission between movies, the kids can play on the playground right underneath the large screen. I love that they still have the same classic equipment I played on as a kid.

Popular spot! Everyone loves the drive-in.

 
Lots of space to run!

 I remember waiting in line to ride these swings.
Years later, Caleb patiently waited his turn too.

 I helped Caleb with the big slide the first time around.

 Then Mr. Big-Britches tried to do it by himself.

 Daddy still helped at the bottom. 

 The jungle gym was his favorite, but it was the scariest 
for me. I kept worrying one of the bigger kids were 
going to jump down right on his head.

We decided to take a break from the playground to go back and get ready for the movie. Caleb was impressed with the speakers after I showed him how they worked. We learned from the pre-movie announcements that this drive-in is one of the few that still have the classic speakers. You can tune the movie in on your radio too if you prefer that way, but I love the old time feeling they produce.

 

Hadley was more excited about this outdoor theater than the Alamo. She was happy to play with us out in the fresh air until she got tired and even caught a nap in the back of the Pilot

 

We got our camping chairs set up and spread out a quilt and some pillows. The back of our SUV was much more comfortable that the Toyota Camry we had when I was a kid, and it was easy to make sure everyone could see.

 

Finally, it was time for the movie to begin. Dave pulled Caleb off the playground and I headed for some snacks while the intro played. While we could have brought in our own food, the concessions help to provide funds to make sure this nostalgic hang-out for families stays open so we wanted to support it, especially since the admission price basically only covers their cost for the films themselves. They have to raise a large amount of money this year to go digital so that the movie companies will continue to work with them; we wanted to make sure to do our part to keep them in business......Ok, and I have to admit that I love movie theater popcorn! (Although Dave (who said he didn't want any) and Caleb ate most of it while I was nursing Hadley - those boys!!!!!!)

 
 
 
 

Several family members had suggested the drive-in as a great place for a date night because the kids usually fall asleep and you can enjoy the movie. Not my boy! The movie started at 9:00 or so and he stayed up for the entire thing. We decided not to stay for the second feature, but he didn't even fall asleep on the car ride home! I think it was 11:30 before he finally hit the sack. Surprisingly though, he was up the next morning like normal and made it through both Sunday School and the Worship Service at church without melting down. 


There just seems to be something magical about watching a movie in the night air. I gave me feeling of contentment, taking time away from all the chores we have to do and enjoying time together.That coupled with the surroundings of one of the few places where you really feel like you've flashed back in a time when things were simpler and slower made for a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment