Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ten Years Ago....

The weekend after Father's Day we were back to our busy schedules, but for a good reason - my TEN year high school class reunion! My cousin Addie (our class president) along with several other hardworking women did an incredible amount of work to plan a beautiful event for us Saturday night and a picnic Sunday. 

Saturday evening was a "kid free" event hosted at a local fire hall. We snacked; we danced; and some people even sang a few rounds of karaoke. We didn't have a huge turnout but we had fun with the ones who came. With Facebook helping us all keep in touch, we laughed about how we already knew what each other were up to for the most part already. Still there was a lot of those familiar questions repeated time and time again just like at every other class reunion: Where are you living now?, What type of work do you do?, and How old is your son/daughter? 

It was interesting to see how ten years had changed us. Some people looked about the same and others I failed to recognize. (Thank goodness for those name tags!) More than outward appearances though, it was interesting to me how different many of my classmates' personalities were from how I remembered them in high school. The people I spent my childhood years with weren't quite the people I used to know. Not that it's a bad or a good thing. It just is. I guess I should have expected it because I'm not quite the same person I used to be either.

Those social barriers that existed way back when seemed invisible and we were all just "the class of 2002." The night was very low key and relaxed. It was a night I'll remember.


Sunday was the chance for everyone to show off their kids at the picnic. We had a family reunion at the same time so we tried to rush to both which made it hectic, especially since Caleb wanted to stay and play on the water slide at our family's picnic. I promised him time to play at the playground when we got to the class reunion though and he held me too it almost as soon as we got there. Poor Dave was pretty wore out and roasted when it was all said and done. Hadley beat the heat by staying in the shade with me and napping in her carseat.

 

Several of us just had babies in the past few months. There were a few toddlers running about and some older kids too. It was nice to see everyone's kids and meet their spouses or boyfriends/girlfriends. One of our former middle school teachers, Mr. Lawson, even made an appearance. Despite the scorching heat, we enjoyed ourselves and I'm glad we went. I wish we didn't have to wait ten more years for the next one!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

GO WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment