Earlier this
month, I wrote about a festival our church had to raise money for some
Filipino missionaries recently. A couple of young girls from our church named Kiersten and Cassidy made these cute little acorns for the bake sale that I thought were adorable:
Seeing the girls' project gave me an idea to
use with my women's Bible study group. I had planned to host a a
fellowship activity for the ladies but had no idea what kind of craft to
do that everyone would enjoy until Kiersten and Cassidy's mom posted
this picture on Facebook. When I saw these little donut acorns, I
thought they'd be perfect to try. I sent the girls' mom (Dawn) a quick
Facebook message to ask how they made them. She told me to simply melt a
some Nutella, dip the top of a glazed donut hole in it, roll the dipped
part in some toffee bits, and stick in half a pretzel stick. She also
gave me this website
with similar instructions that suggests using peanut butter or chocolate
frosting versus Nutella. Dave tasted tested them after my group made
them and said the Nutella and toffee bits made for the perfect mix.
Since
the whole project was quick and easy, I had the idea that it might be
something that Caleb and his twin cousins could try. They had planned to
paint pumpkins together before Halloween but sickness upset those
plans, so we decided to get together and try this idea instead.
In
case you were wondering, the toddlers had a little more trouble dipping
donuts in a pot full of melted Nutella and a container of toffee bits
than my Bible study group did. I demonstrated how to make the acorns
before anyone got started and then let the kids get try. Things started
out okay at first, but, once one of them started munching, the others
followed suite and the rest of the activity was a lost cause. There was
hazelnut spread and bits of toffee all over the floor, half the donut
holes didn't even make it from the plate to the Nutella before they were
half eaten, and you can forget about the pretzel sticks. Really, how
could I expect two-year-olds to wait to eat the donut holes until they
made it into something pretty? What was I thinking?
The first attempts
First the Nutella...
Then the toffee bits...
Forget the pretzel stick! Time to taste test!
I'm not sure Dan's first donut hole ever touched
the Nutella before he took a bite.
Maybe the big kid in the green shirt can handle the task?
Toddler creations
My acorn
The
look isn't nearly as import as the taste though, right? There was
definitely lots of tasting going on. (Maybe that is why none of the kids
went down for a nap at Granny's....)
What do you think, Anabella?
Anyone else want a bite?
Most
importantly, the kids enjoyed it. I think we needed more adult hands
and one-on-one guidance, plus a separate photographer. Live and learn
and then make some more acorn donuts!

Actually, I bought some of the acorns Kiersten and Cassidy made. Those were the first ones I tasted and they all were tasty.
ReplyDeleteIt works best if you wait to put the pretzel stick in right before you serve them too. If you put them in the night before they get soggy.
ReplyDeleteha! I think they did great! What's wrong with a little nibble when you're working with food?! It was fun- thanks for sharing with us. :)
ReplyDelete