Friday, November 9, 2012

Making sure everyone gets fed

Caleb has really been getting more into pretend play the last few months. I love eavesdropping on him sometimes when he is making his trains or bath toys talk to each other. Lately, one of his favorite hobbies is feeding his toys. 

For a pretty good while now he's enjoyed serving Dave and I and his grandparents "play food." A couple months ago though, I caught him feeding his tank engines. When I first walked in the family room and saw goldfish all over the rug, I scolded him, unsure why he'd thrown crackers everywhere. As he tried to explain to me that the trains were eating, I finally saw it. My frustration turned to humor. 


While he rationed out real food to the trains, pretending random things around the house are "food" makes Caleb just as happy. He has a set of alphabet magnets that he keeps taking off of his easel and putting in cups because he says they are ice. A few weeks ago he filled up a baby bottle with the letters and took a pipe off his tractor trailer flatbed to use as a straw so that he could give his toy monkey "soda." I was too slow with the camera that day, and he wouldn't reconstruct the scene for me when I asked, so I put it together again myself to give you an idea.


Another day Dave and I saw that he had set up the scene pictured below. What do you think is happening here?


The bat, recorder, and ball popper are the dogs bones of course!

This week I found him using some stacking cubes and his alphabet magnets to make troughs and feed for his horses.


Two weeks ago he even wanted to feed his baby sister. I love their facial expressions!


There are are so many blog posts about events we've attended, places we've gone, and special occasions, but these day to day things are the ones that I truly want to remember. They are what make it worth pulling out the vacuum to clean up the goldfish crumbs. I love his two-year-old imagination!

2 comments:

  1. Another important part of the horse scene is the "grass" changing pad they are on. I was scolded for trying to move it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I put the changing pad down for him because the horses weren't standing up very well on the carpet.

    ReplyDelete