Thursday, August 22, 2013

Good Practice for Three

A few days after we got back from our trip, my cousin Kevin gave me the privilege of watching his sweet baby boy, Blake. I was a bit nervous when he first asked, since I'm having trouble keeping up with my own two with this growing belly, but thought it would be a good trial run. To complicate matters more, the night before I was supposed to watch him, I had contractions most of the night and was worried I was going to have to call to cancel the following morning. Not long after I got up things got better though and soon this adorable face arrived at my front door!


Despite Kevin's warning that Blake might be a little fussy from the shots he had the day before, this little fella was a very easy baby to watch. Hadley, on the other hand, wouldn't take a nap and was a bit of a mess. She loved Blake so much though and kept going up to his chair to wave at him and point at his pacifier, occasionally trying to see if she could take it but getting caught by Mommy every time. She smiled and clapped with excitement at him, making me hopeful that she will be as happy about her new brother in a couple months. Just like I feared though, she was not a happy camper when I had to walk Blake if he started crying. Clinging to my legs and lifting her short, chubby arms, she begged for me to pick her up instead. I had a feeling this was coming since sometimes she tries to push Caleb out of my lap, but I felt so sorry for her since she just couldn't quite understand. I guess we'll have to work on that and come up with a good system so she's feeling all the love she needs even when she's not the baby anymore.


Though Caleb mostly ignored Hadley when she was a small baby, he definitely showed some interest in Blake. Since he's older this go around, I hope he'll be excited when his new sibling arrives too. He kept telling me "he's so little," emphasizing that Blake was smaller than Hadley. His curiosity opened the door for some good discussion about what the new baby will be like too. He seemed to already understand that his brother is smaller than Blake and that's why he's still in Mommy's belly. I can't wait to see all these boys palling around together soon!


I survived the three little one test run and enjoyed the time with this adorable little one that I hadn't had much of an opportunity to bond with yet. Come back and visit again soon, Blake!

No comments:

Post a Comment