Friday, December 13, 2013

First Snowfall

We had our first snowfall of the winter this past Sunday. That morning everyone was happy to look out the windows at the beautiful scene it created, and our little people were especially excited to get outside and romp in it. (Truth be told, I think there might have been a grown-up who was excited to get out in that powdery playground too.)

Gearing up.
Thanks to her cousin Anabella, we had a snowsuit ready and waiting for this girl!
Caleb immediately got a handful to taste.
I guess he remembered from last year?
I enjoyed watching this part of the fun from inside as Dave taught Hadley how to throw snow.
Dave and I think he looks like his Grandma McKinstry in this pic. 
The snow was a bit too wet for making a good snowman, but the kids still got in some sledding.

The cold weather may not have been enough to keep Dave and my older two young'uns in the house, but Reid and I were hibernating inside. He napped and I blogged. Everyone was happy.


Later that day, the kids went out for another round in the snow after their naps to enjoy it just a little more before supper time. Back into those awkward snowsuits they went, ready for a good time. 

Finally though, the cold was too much for Caleb and in the house he came, begging that a fire be started to get him warmed up. I didn't know how to start the gas logs, so I tried to warm him a little with the hair dryer (Andi Ayers, I hope you are reading this - my hair dryer friend) and offered him some hot chocolate. I went to work heating up the cocoa but my son, who must have been in a high maintenance mood, refused to have his until the scene was perfect and the fire was going. Thankfully, after doing a Google search and finding a video to figure out to get ours started, the kids sat in front of the glowing logs with their drinks and animal crackers. 

I am not sure how she knew it, but Hadley was convinced that her brother had something special in his cup. She kept yelling, "Juice, juice!" When we gave her the juice though, she knew something was amiss still and didn't relent until she too got a sippy cup of hot chocolate. Those two!

The following Monday, Dave worked from home because of the road conditions and the snow that had started again. However, it wasn't an "all work and no play" kind of day. About midday, he stopped, using this kids as an excuse once again to get out there and enjoy the winter wonderland. And, while they played, it gave this Momma a chance to finish up some online Christmas shopping from the comfort of our cozy house. 

Snowball!
 
Lovin' it!
Dave said the snowman building was more of a success the second day UNTIL Caleb jumped on it and knocked it down. Dave tried to resurrect it, but Hadley followed suit and jumped on that one. Poor Frosty!

I hear that it is supposed to be a snowy winter this year, so we are looking forward to a few more opportunities to bundle up our crew and make some more chilly memories.


1 comment:

  1. You guys are lucky to have had REAL snow! The fluffy kind, like Anabella tells me to make her pancakes. We had yucky ol' ice. I love the picture of them by the fire. Way to go, Hadley, for persisting with that hot chocolate!! She's my kind of girl! I hear more is on the way for you today. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete