Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Summer in Review - June

My next three posts are going to be a little review of things I didn't get around to posting about this summer. Yes, I did 15 posts back in June, but there are still a few shots I wanted to put up - like the ones that often get missed on here, our everyday fun around the house. 

We were outdoors a lot this summer, probably more than we ever have been before, but we also spent a fair amount of time inside being creative. Hadley loves coloring, especially with markers. It's all I can do to try to keep up with making sure the lids are back on them so they don't dry out, they are out of reach when I am not able to monitor her activity, and that she isn't writing on herself or other things. Sadly, I've failed at all of these! I tried the Color Wonder type of marker to help keep art activities safe and manageable, but somehow she keeps finding the real ones...At least she's excited about being creative. :)


Anything can be a canvas. (I'm so thankful for bath soap and Magic Erasers.) 


While the kids do pretty well with just something to draw with and a stack of blank paper, there are occasions where Mommy tries to add another avenue of creativity. I am not someone who has time to plan out all those super cute craft creations you'll find on Pinterest though, so we tend to keep it simple. That's why, one day when I was picking up some things at The Dollar Tree and found this door hanger kit, I thought it would be a good fit. A little variety from the norm, no mess, and the price was right!

Again with the body art!
Caleb really enjoyed this craft and was eager to put his door hanger on the knob leading into his room.
Then, back to work on creation number 2!

One night when we were watching my friend Melanie's daughter, Hannah, I got a little brave and let them break out the finger paint (also a Dollar Tree purchase). Dave was home that evening, so with two adults around things were a little more manageable. We threw a few of Dave's old t-shirts over the kids clothes, tossed a leftover plastic tablecloth from one of the kids' parties on the table, and gave them a few pieces of cut up poster board I bought for the occasion.


The reason I was motivated to even get out the paints all began with one little boy's interest in painting and building a race car he picked out with my mom on one of their special outings. I hadn't been able to help him with it until that evening, but it may have been a good thing because he really enjoyed doing it with his Daddy. Since I couldn't leave the girls out while he had a fun project, they got the fun of getting their hands a little messy and colorful while Caleb concentrated to paint his project with precision.


Later that night when everything dried, Mommy got a little time helping Caleb too as he put the finishing touches on his car. 


We tried to do a bit of learning over the summer as well. I used these leis that I bought for our Hawaiian themed party I posted about last month to work on colors with Hadley. (Another Dollar Tree find...that store is where it's at!)

I have no idea, Mommy.

We also did a little color hunting. This went over well because Caleb was excited to find the colors I'd say and Hadley follows suit.


And, of course, June isn't June if you don't get out of the house and into the sunshine, so we did plenty of that too. Here's a few shots of the kids chasing bubbles - a classic past time for warm weather days. (I'll give you one guess where I bought the wand and big container of bubbles!)

Poor Hadley tried her best but never could quite get the hang of blowing bubbles. She'd blow through her teeth and pucker her face up but got no where. Just wave it around, Hadley-girl!
Caleb's a pro.

Keep your eye out for what you missed in July...Coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. What fun, creative home projects! Looks like you all had great summer!

    ReplyDelete