Now for Hadley!
In April, her first special day out was a sleepover at NaNa's. When it's sometimes hard for Dave and I to find opportunities to give our kids individual time, we're glad to have this lady who puts her full self into her grandbabies.
 |
| See ya later, Mommy... |
Right after Christmas time, Granny (who loves to get together with Grandma Nora Ann) suggested that I set up a day for all of us to go to Cracker Barrel together, especially since after the holidays several of us had gift cards to spend. It took me until May to find a good date for everyone to go, but we finally got there. I invited my mom and sister as well, and since Hadley is one of the girls, she got to be included.
 |
| What fun not just to have Mommy's attention to herself but also all these grandparents! |
 |
| Hadley loves the babies they have on display in the old country store and plays with them every time we visit. |
 |
| Uh-oh! Look who snuck his way into the girls' day! Since granddaddy is grandma's chauffeur these days, we made sure to include him in the invite and were glad he was there. |




In June, Hadley went on another girls' day to see Anabella's ballet and tap recital. Hadley's dance school did a recital at the end of the year, but she was too young to perform in it. I purchased tickets for her and I to go anyway, knowing she would enjoy just watching as we've done on YouTube on occasion. Sadly though, I got the days mixed up and we missed it all together. Hearing about our disappointment, Stacey had good news that Anabella was having a recital soon, which worked out to be even better since Hadley would get to watch one of her favorite people! As the day approached though, I realized that the theology class I am taking was going to be the same day and I'd never be able to make both. Having made the commitment to take the class and not wanting miss the information taught there but also hating to disappoint Hadley, I struggled with what to do. Finally, I asked my mom if she would be willing to take my sweet girl to see Bell perform. Thankfully, it all worked out and she was able to go. Hadley set through the whole three hour show amazingly, which I think was great for her age. When she arrived home though, the poor thing had come down with a fever....at least she got to enjoy the day though before the illness kicked in.
 |
| She could hardly wait! |
 |
| Look at this cute little scarecrow ready for her tap performance! |
 |
| I hated missing Anabella's ballet performance. |
 |
| So happy to see each other! |
That performance wasn't the only time Hadley got a special day with NaNa. This little girl spent quite a bit of time having sleepovers there in July. It used to be that Caleb was the one always asking to stay the night at NaNa's. Now Miss Hadley Jayne is just as eager. I couldn't let her go as often as she wanted to, but she probably got to stay three or four nights pretty close together and was none too happy when she finally had to come home. This actually helped me out some when Caleb had his tonsils out, gave her some good bonding time, and brought NaNa a little extra sunshine.



Another night that month, Dave got to have a special night out with his girl. The first Friday of the month, the discovery museum in Winchester has free admission, and since we haven't tried it out since they updated and moved to a new location last year, I suggested it as a good option. She definitely liked it and was a very busy little girl that evening as she checked out the place. Afterwards, the two of them even went out to dinner together at a steakhouse. Next time I better get invited!
 |
| In the ambulance! |
 |
| See the background? They had an entire car built out of Legos on display this summer. |
Mommy needed a turn just her and Hadley too! So, the two of us went bowling. While it was a little bit of a dangerous feat to make sure no fingers were pinched or toes smashed, Hadley's a good listener, and everything went smoothly. Thanks to the dragon ramps to help the kids get up more momentum when rolling their balls down the lanes and the bumpers to prevent gutterballs, it was a successful game. Had's already asking when we can go back.
Then Daddy got her again! We were supposed to go camping at Sky Meadows like we do annually, and this was going to be the first year that Hadley actually got to stay overnight in the tent too instead of going home at night time. However, we got rained out. Hadley got her chance though with a daddy daughter camp out in the Shenandoah National Park.
 |
| Camping buddies |
 |
| As a worrying mommy, I told Dave not to let Hadley get too close to the fire. When she decided to sit this far back from it as she roasted her marshmallow, he laughed and took a picture to let me just how safe they played it. :) |
 |
| Silly picture! |
Daddy took her for his favorite hobby, and I got to take her for mine - shopping.
 |
| Isn't she beautiful? |
NaNa joined us too and just look at what the two of them got into at the mall! They found these motorized animals to rent and for fifteen minutes went all up and down the mall riding that thing. They even ran into a tower of gift cards at one point and I was left to pick up the mess. Can't. Take. Them. Anywhere.
We also spent a little time in the play area where Hadley introduced herself to all the kids like she usually does wherever we go. Then she started climbing just like she saw the big boys doing. They weren't getting anything on her.



So the sleepovers with NaNa, the Discovery Museum, bowling, camping, and shopping were all in July. Think we're done? Nope not yet! Hadley was a busy girl that month. She even got some special days having Grandma Nora Ann to herself. When I was in the hospital with the stomach flu back in the fall, Grandma had watched Hadley for us. After that, my girl asks Grandma all the time when she visits if she will take her home with her to spend the night. When Caleb had to get his tonsils out, I thought it would be a good time for her to stay again, but Reid got sick so Dave just ended up staying home with the kids. Hadley and Grandma were both disappointed, so within the next week, Grandma stopped by one evening to pick her up. Hadley wasn't ready to come home the next day and Grandma wasn't wanting her to either; I don't think I really had a choice in the matter. :) The third day, Mommy had to put her foot down and make our little girl come home. Lots of tears abounded as they reached the house, and my normally complaint girl had a meltdown to have to leave her grandma. (I knew just how she felt it hasn't been that long ago since I felt much the same way, wanting as much time at Grandma's as Mom would allow me.) Grandma hated to leave her behind too and promised to take her again soon. She said having her there was just like having me again and she kept missing Hadley in the days that followed.

All ofthese special days have been a blessing in some ways to help bond the boys too. Hadley is always a good playmate for either of them, but when she's not in the picture, it gives the brothers a chance to spent some QT just the two of them.
 |
| Got his motor running |
 |
| Kites! |
I love the joy on Hadley's face in these pictures and hope we are always able to carve out this time together. It's so important for all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment