If anyone knows how to write a love story it's God. Not only is His Word one of the most beautiful love letters ever written, He also cares deeply about our relationships with one another and can put us together with the people we need in incredible ways. Our story began with both of us planning to travel to China for the World Baptist Alliance Conference through the Baptist Student Unions at our respective colleges. After months of anticipating the trip, SARS hit and our mission trips were redirected to other areas. They gave us several locations to choose from and I opted for Jamaica because I had just enough money donated from my church and other organizations to go on the Jamaica trip that summer plus still be able to travel to China the following year if the SARS epidemic was over. Dave, on the other hand, chose Guam as a second choice but those plans ultimately fell through too. Thankfully, as a result, he ended up on the same eight person team with me to the Caribbean.
![]() |
| What a gorgeous place to meet the man who would become my husband! |
Our team bonded well and worked great together, each person having the unique talents needed to serve the purpose for which we'd come.
While we were there, we worked with two sister churches - Salem Baptist and Waltham Abbey. At the first, we performed some music, were involved in a Bible study, and fellowshipped with the people. At the latter, we taught a week long Vacation Bible School (VBS) at which Dave partnered with a teammate to do recreational activities outdoors with the kids while I remained indoors with another teammate to lead the crafts.
We brought lots of Bibles with us on our trip, knowing that the people there needed them, but we didn't realize how desperately they were desired until the children began fighting over a box full of New Testaments my pastor had sent with us. It was humbling to see their reaction to something we so often take for granted.
There were several opportunities for leisure while we were there as well. Originally we stayed with host families for a few days but then were moved to a local Jamaican resort - not the kind that America tourists usually frequent, but a resort more geared towards other Jamaicans. From jumping in the swimming pool with our church clothes on one night to jet skiing to trying to learn how to back dive, we had fun adventures in our down time. There were also so a few not too pleasant escapades, like ants getting all in my luggage or when I stepped on a sea urchin and the snaggletoothed lifeguard running toward us yelling that someone needed to pee on my foot to stop the pain.
The locals took us to a couple tourist attractions too. First, we experienced Glistening Waters - a lagoon where fresh water meets salt water, creating a glow as the phosphorous that results illumines with any type of movement that occurs. Amazingly, it is one of only four places in the world where this occurs and we had the opportunity to not only see it but even jump in and light up the water if we wanted, which Dave did though I was a scaredy cat. The other adventure we took was to Dunn's River Falls (pictured below) - a large waterfall for people to climb. The Jamaicans thought we'd have some trouble tackling the rocks barefooted, but all of us actually did pretty well and made it to the top.
While Dave had been on other trips in the past, this was my first real mission trip, and I am so thankful for the team I was placed with. There are so many great memories!
While our romance didn't really begin until months and months later, I'm also thankful that I met the perfect man for me while I was there too. Though I didn't go into the trip looking for my soul mate, God knew what He was doing and ten years later we are toting our little ones to the beach, making even more memories together.
























I like the picture where the girls are braiding your hair. Even though I'm looking all sweaty and gross, it looks like you have the googly eyes for me :).
ReplyDeleteof course! :) you were the grad student and she was the freshman! :) God had that trip perfectly planned.
ReplyDelete