Friday, September 13, 2013

The Sprinkle

Being the third pregnancy, having a shower this time around was not expected - or really needed for that matter. However, because this baby is just as special as the other two, my mom decided to have a small get together with just family so that we could celebrate the blessing of his arrival and have some photos for the baby book like I have for the others. Her invitation explained no gifts were necessary but, that in joyful anticipation of this new little one, she wanted to have a party in his honor. My cousin Stacey called it a "Sprinkle" - which I liked and thought was the perfect name for such an event.


As always Mom did a great job planning. She took a cake idea off of Pinterest and made it her own, created a great spread of finger foods, and arranged for some of my favorite people to be there.

Susie, Grandma, Lexi, Granddaddy, and Me
(There aren't too many granddads that come to baby "sprinkles," but I would expect nothing less from this man who also went with me to pick out my wedding dress seven years ago.)

Caleb and Hadley got to stop by for a little while too before Dave took them home to nap. Caleb was drawn to the cake while Hadley spent most of her energy on the hoppy horse Pop bought them back at Christmas time. Hadley was also happy that her cousin Celia came to the shower, and they spent a little time getting reacquainted.


We didn't do a lot of games but, as always, they had to measure my bump. The method this time: toilet paper squares.

When I took Granny with me to shop for maternity clothes a few months ago, she commented as I came out of the dressing room that one of the outfits made me look "as big as a horse." Though I appreciated the honesty and laughed when she said it, I had to tease her that I was worried how long a piece she would take when she was selecting how long a strand of toilet paper she need to go around me. 
Grandma Nora Ann tried to measure around herself to be more accurate.
Though Granny, Susie, and Diane tied, Granny won the game when we did a tie breaker by drawing names. 

The other game was something for me to enjoy later. Just like at my shower with Caleb, Mom had everyone predict what date they expected the baby to be born as well as the height and weight. She said they did this at one of her showers and it was fun to go back and look at while she was in the hospital.


While the invite said no gifts necessary, my family just couldn't resist I guess. :) Knowing that my boys birthdays will be opposite seasons and that most of my baby clothes with Caleb were spring/summer ones, most people blessed us with new outfits for this little fella which will definitely be put to good use!

 
My cousin Stacey couldn't attend but sent an outfit and these books - one for Baby, another for Caleb and Hadley, and the third for me! The book she sent me was called Mommy Grace and was about how to handle all the things we feel guilty for as moms. I'm super excited to read that one!
From Granny
From Baby's Great Grandma Nora Ann

My mother, the baby-clothes-shopaholic, out did herself again. Not only did Baby boy get a bunch of new clothes, but Caleb got several shirts to match as well. I can't wait to dress both of them up. How cute!


After the gifts came the cake!

The lady responsible for this nice celebration :)

This was such a nice party because it small enough that I got to visit with everyone without feeling rushed or guilty about not catching up with all the guests. Not only was it very laid back, but mostly importantly we made memories and got a few pictures to let Baby Boy know that we are looking forward to his arrival!

Thanks, Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, what a nice shower! Wish I could have been there. I love my Mommy Grace book and Little Blue Truck is one of Daniel's favorites (and so much fun to read aloud).

    ReplyDelete