I know my dad would have preferred not to have all the hype surrounding what happened to him, but that's how it is sometimes when you live in a small town. As frustrating as it was to see Facebook posts of people gossiping back and forth to get the details and to watch news reports pop up before we'd even heard back from the medical examiner, at some point we just had to close our eyes and block all that out. We had to focus on getting through the grief, warmed by the encouragement of family and friends who were devastated with us and committed to carrying us in prayer.
Many of our friends and family have asked out of genuine concern for our narrative of the events that took place on that day last week that turned our world upside down. As a result, we've told the story over and over to hospital personnel, police investigators, family members, and our dearest friends so much so that it's become deeply engraved in our minds. But, there are still some who we haven't had the opportunity to share with, and rather than letting the news reports and rumors suffice, Mom and I thought it would be best if people heard directly from us what happened - what we know and what we'll never know. Though it's a difficult account to write, here is the overview of what took place last Wednesday:
January 22, my dad's birthday, he and my mom went to put out some water for the cows they recently purchased. They drove down to the low water bridge, backed their pick-up right up to the water, and began filling up a trough sitting on the bed of the truck. Mom wanted to help but they only had one bucket and Dad told her to get back in the truck because it was cold. She obliged and settled into the passenger seat to read her Bible while she waited.
After a bit, Mom realized that she didn't hear Dad pouring water into the trough anymore, so she got out of the truck to check on him. At first glance she couldn't find him anywhere and began calling his name. However, upon scanning the scene again, she noticed his silhouette a ways out in the river, submerged under the water.
I am not sure how she did it, but she got in the river and ran out up to her chest until she could reach him. Mom was able to pull to him back to shore, but he was too heavy for her to get on the bank by herself. Thankfully, there was a construction worker nearby, whose attention Mom was able to get, that came to join her efforts. A man in a truck was also crossing the bridge at that time and she quickly got his attention too. The three of them finally got Daddy back on the shore, and Mom began CPR while she called 911. She tried to relay to the emergency operator that she thought my dad had had a heart attack and fallen in the river.
The ambulance arrived about 20 minutes later and rescue workers continued to work on him. At this point, my mom, whose wet coat was solid ice from the freezing temperatures, was wrapped in a blanket and walked back to their truck. Then, finally, one of the construction workers drove her in my dad's truck as they followed the ambulance back to the hospital.
The doctors there did their best, but after an hour of trying, they told us there was nothing more they could do.
We don't know what caused Dad to fall into the water, but certain evidence leads us to believe he must have been unconscious and not able to catch himself when he fell. And, since no one saw what happened, it became an investigation case.
The report we received from the medical examiner failed to explain exactly happened to make my dad unable to help himself, but it did give us a clue. The medical examiner listed a heart condition as a contributing to death, which supports my mom's earlier hypothesis that something like a heart attack must have taken place. The water was shallow and the current so weak that under normal circumstances he would have no problem swimming or even just getting up.
We'll never know for sure on this side of eternity why this happened, but we do know that God works all things together for good for those who have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). One close friend suggested that possibly, God had kept my mom in the truck that day to spare her from seeing what did take place.
Though things seem out of control, the Lord is still on His throne, watching us, guiding us, and comforting us. I may not know everything that took place that day, but I know that God is STILL good. He is "close to the brokenhearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit" (Psalm 34:28).
We sincerely thank those of you who have been praying for us and ask that you continue to lift us up in the days to come. It is obvious that God has already begun to answer so many intercessory requests made on our behalf. He has given us peace that passes all understanding.
Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
-Isaiah 46:4

Thank you for sharing Lindsay. I have been keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers since I first saw something on Facebook. I am very sorry to hear of your father's passing. I have been very impressed to hear the strength you and family have gotten from God. I continue to pray for comfort for you all. ~Mikki Leadem
ReplyDeleteVery beautiful Lindsay and I am sure not the easiest piece to compile. Praying for you, your family, your mother & the rest of the Vaught family. We may not always understand why something happens just have to remember there is a greater plan in place that may not be recognizable at this time. ~Mallory Craig
ReplyDeleteSpeechless, Just Beautiful Lindsay!! Praying for your entire family for peace and comfort. Terri Shiflett
ReplyDeleteSo awful to hear and I cant imagine how hard it was just sitting to write this. And although some just like to gossip on facebook some (like myself) were only genuinely concerned. And being it was in the paper I know it was talked about even more & I know that most have been a outerbody experience for you all seeing everyone talk about him and it being your father they were referencing. Im so sorry if anyone writing anything hurt you. But know MOST (bc I believe most of us are good people) were so very concerned and just were shocked to hear this happen to someone I have heard nothing but good things about and Im sure the same with others. Know that we truly (my whole family,(my parents Connie Clark, Larry Forbus especially) truly have prayed for you and your family. You and your Mom (and all your family/friends) will get through this with God always on your side. If you ever need anything let me know. Again I will keep praying for you and everyone involved in this tragedy. Much love <3 Sheena Wright
ReplyDeleteLindsay it is very courageous of you to tell this story , I know that it's all a part of God's plan the things that have taken place. You are a strong woman, I know this because you share the same blood as all of the Riley/Hockman women. Sharing prayers with so many others for you all . God Bless and Love to all .
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry that your family has had to suffer this loss but I am hoping that you have felt the many prayers that have been whispered for your family. It is true, that when something like this happens to someone in our small town, especially someone so well loved and so young, that people do become curious and it becomes a popular topic of conversation. I sincerely hope that no one commented out of vengeance or morbid curiosity at your family's expense. I find peace in knowing that your family is a strong, close, loving family of God fearing people and I know that God will see you through these difficult days. We may never have answers to our unanswered questions but the one thing we do have assurance of is that Jeff, your dad, is now in the presence of his Lord and Savior and is still watching over his family. His voice may be gone but his presence will be with you forever. May God continue to comfort you and your sweet, dear family. Death can take away many things but it cannot take your memories. Love and Prayers to all.
ReplyDeleteLindsay, I have never met you, but I was friends with your parents while I was growing up in Front Royal. Your mother was one of my most precious friends and taught me so much about friendship. It is not a surprise that she and Jeff raised such an amazing young lady. Thank you for sharing your story so that out of town friends, like myself, can understand more about this tragedy. I tried to call Sharon a couple nights ago. I was relieved that she didn't answer the phone, because I didn't know what to say. I just knew that after 30+ years, I wanted to reach out to her and her family and tell her that I was praying for her and that I felt the terrible pain that she was going through. You see, I lost my mother 20 years ago without any notice and to this day I feel the pain. So, I wanted to tell her that I feel her pain, but I also wanted to tell her and her family that eventually you will learn how to live with the pain. It never goes away. Everyone will miss Jeff forever, and you should. But, you will learn how to live with it and live a life that he would have been proud of. God bless you and may you continue to be strong. --Barbara Wine Hudson
ReplyDeleteOh, Lindz, this breaks my heart as I can only imagine how hard it was to write. You did it beautifully. Your dad would be so proud of you, your mom and Courtney for the strength you have shown. I know you are sad, and the days ahead will be hard. The Lord is providing you the peace and comfort you need to get through this, and for that I am glad. I love that picture of Uncle Jeff- the smile that would light up a room! Add to it a few of his jokes, and there was always laughter and fun whenever he was around. He will be sorely missed and forever in our memories. Thinking of you and praying for you always. Love, Stacey
ReplyDeleteI'm deeply sorry for your family's & the community's loss. Your lovingly written account of your daddy's sad passing is a moving tribute to the man he was, the marriage he had, & the very special daughter that holy union created.
ReplyDeleteKeeping you & your family in my prayers & on my heart.
Jeff was a good guy. Sorry I could not have known him better.
ReplyDeleteLindsay, so beautiful. I am so sorry about your Dad. A Dad is a girls best friend, and hero. He will be with you and your family forever. He will continue to watch over his family. My thoughts and prayers are with Sharon, you and your entire family. A sudden death is so hard to except, but always remember how he loved each and everyone of you. Praying for all family members, and all who knew Jeff. Wanda Davis
ReplyDelete