Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Big 3-0

I've been feeling somewhat anxious about turning 30 since my 18th birthday. Ridiculous I know, and I don't want to be "one of those people," but it's true. There's been a certain sense of dread about the whole thing, and I'm not sure why. Honestly, the Lupus and Fibromyalgia have made me feel past my prime physically for years now, but there are other days when it seems surprising to me that I'm really a grown-up, the mother of three.

When the transition from 29 to the big 3-0 finally happened this past Saturday though, it was not a depressing day. Instead it was a really good one, full of the richness those thirty years have brought, a husband who loves me deeply, beautiful children who love to snuggle up to their Mommy, and a house of my own that's our home together. 

The day started with me getting to sleep in until Dave woke me with the smell of bacon under my nose. Pancakes and fresh pineapple accompanied the salty slab on my plate, making a delicious spread. 

I came downstairs and watched as the kids busily worked on coloring birthday surprises for me, followed by some cuddling time with my babies.

Reid clinging to my leg, Hadley plopped on my belly, and Caleb with his hand in my hair like normal
(Also, note that Caleb has a big piece of fake lettuce on his face - goofy boy.) 

Next up was Caleb's soccer game. It was a great day to be outside as a family, and my mom got to stop by to spend some time with us too. Caleb told me that he was going to try that day not to come off the field unless the coach said they could have a water break and that there would be no tears if he got frustrated. He did an excellent job until the last couple minutes when he got knocked down and said he hurt his foot. I was pretty proud watching how he's maturing.


Following soccer we went for lunch at the Main Street Mill vs. the normal hot dog at the field we usually have. Then it was nap time for the kids, and Dave went shopping for a few items we'd need later in the day for a family birthday celebration we had planned.

To help ease the disappoint of officially being old, I decided it would be fun to have a "throw back" birthday party. Recently I'd been thinking about the fun my cousins and I used to have when our parents would get out in the field and play kickball with us up at my grandparents' house. I wanted a good excuse to get together to relive some of those memories and make some new ones, so what better reason than to celebrate my 30th birthday!

Grandma gets a little stressed these days when we host things at her house because she can't keep up like she once did, but my Aunt Brenda, who lives in my great-grandma's old house next door, said she would host the picnic/kickball game for me there. Not only did she let us use her house and yard, she also made me one of my favorite desserts - cheesecake!

I teasingly requested a red velvet cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory, knowing we don't have any of those around here. Dave and Brenda made it happen though. He bought the red velvet and she made the cheesecake.
 
It was a good spread, but where's the crab legs I asked for? (wink, wink)
My dad's best friend Bo and his wife Cathy even showed up. 
 

After supper, quite a few of our crew went for a walk back on the hill. My brood and I stayed close to the house though. The kids loved taking turns on an tire swing, checking out the cows in the distance, and playing in the mud. The rest of the adults just hung out, catching up or playing a round of cornhole.

There's Kevin playing cornhole...Look at what a beautiful evening we had!

Then it was time for the main event. The kickball game! We laughed, we fell down, a few of us even peed their pants (I won't name any names). We had a blast! 

Even my mom and her sister Susie (two of the Hockman sisters) got out there and showed us their stuff.

Can I outrun this old Hocky lady?
Kick it, Momma!
She's still got it!
Go, Kimberly, it's your birthday....Oh, wait...Nope it's my birthday.
I think Kevin forgot how much fun this could be.
Any where this boy is, there's always a good time.
Run, girls!
High five!
Cay-Cay's turn
Uh-oh...I think that's a foul ball!
Oh, no! Susie, did you fall down again?
Back up when Sonny kicks....or Randy...or Kevin.
Watch out, there's an old lady up to kick.
I made it to first...Is there time to get to second?
Kick it, Diane!
Go, Courtney!
Look at that stride!
Taking a break to snuggle a little girl who really wanted her mommy




We had our own spectator section too. (I mean, there's always a few who can't hang with the big dogs and have to stay on the porch, right?)

 

The kids couldn't really keep up with the whole kick ball concept and got bored quickly. As with most kids, they had no trouble finding other ways to entertain themselves.


Does this remind you of the clown car at the circus?


We were all pretty wore out when it was over.....I'm not the only one getting old!


After a rest though, we hit those tire swings again, which was all fun and games until I hurt myself trying to get out of that thing! Guess I better start acting my age... :)


Despite getting grass stains on my favorite pair of jeans and straining a few muscles that weren't used to being worked, I couldn't have asked for a much better day. Thankfully, the next day was the Sabbath and I had some time to rest up my achy 30-year-old self before Monday rolled around again.

But, I wasn't the only one who needed Sunday to catch up. Even the little whippersnappers were worn out!


No comments:

Post a Comment